My Special Recipes App

My Special Recipes is an Android app that I am developing for people who find memorising steps of cooking difficult.
A few years ago, I was working on an EU project called CogWatch. We were trying to help people who have acquired brain injuries to do simple tasks such as making a cup of tea or coffee and toothbrushing. A lot of them, despite being able to perform individual steps of the tasks, they find it difficult to remember which step comes first. So we tried to automatically identify what they are doing during the tasks and then prompt them if they make a mistake. This system is feasible for simple task but for complicated tasks such as cooking, this will take a lot of sensors and modelling and it is not easy.
One day I drove pass the medical school and saw a lady with Down Syndrome using her smartphone. That gave me an idea. First, people with learning disabilities have similar problems as those people with acquired brain injuries. Secondly, people with learning disabilities can often use technologies like smartphones very well. Although they often have problems with dexterities, smartphones are easy for them as it is a touchscreen device. After the end of the CogWatch project in 2015, I started developing My Special Recipes app.

No comments:

Post a Comment